Introducing a new, possibly regular (possibly not) series where I ask various cycling folk what they’re liking right now…
- Screen printing… every time I see it – such as this piece by illustrator Will Scobie – I know it would suit my own work. I love the results, even when they go slightly wrong and don’t match up properly.
- Cyclocross… I’m about to pick up my first ‘cross bike, a Cannondale CAADX 105 – nothing too crazy expensive or whiz bang, just a good quality bike that will do the job and something I can upgrade later. I’ve been drawn to ‘cross by the countryside in and around where I live in Sussex. The nature of the single track on the South Downs is perfect for Cross training, and I cant wait to get racing in the autumn. I’ve found myself looking out of the window on the train looking at fields in a new way, wondering whether they would be a good spot for training.
- Fizzy Water… San Pellegrino is king.
- ‘The Greatest Show on Earth’… where it all started with Rouleur Magazine for me, as I had to create a comic stripped version of it for Issue 14. It’s one of the best documentaries I’ve seen. It introduced me to the Giro, which has since become my favourite of the grand tours.
- Simple design… on anything, from beans to bottom brackets. I love design from the fifties, bold colourful and iconic imagery.
- Handmade bikes… I’ve found myself moving away from Carbon and love looking up frame builders such as Ricky Feather of Feather Cycles. The plan is to save for that ‘forever frame’, something light enough to race on, but sturdy enough to take the comings and goings of the racing season.
- Continental tyres and tubes… and carrying enough of the later on any ride, just in case… PFTssss. Bugger.
- Riding my bike, even in the rain… any where, any when, any weather.
- Striking cycle jerseys… too much ‘too cool for school’ in the peloton this year… I like Farnese Vini, AG2R, Euskaltel Euskadi.